<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:21:39 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Timeline

S.U.B in the winter
S.U.B in the winter

Rutherford Library
Rutherford Library

Mural in Rutherford Library
Mural in Rutherford Library

Dr. A.W. Henry
Dr. A.W. Henry

Sketch of Physical Education Center
Sketch of Physical Education Center

Administrative Building under construction
Administrative Building under construction

Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium


Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1950–59)

1950

Student Advisory Services is established.

Students’ Union Building is completed.

Association of Academic Staff is established.

1951

President Newton retires.

Dr. Andrew Stewart becomes President of the University of Alberta.

Rutherford Library officially opens—150,000 books were moved from libraries and offices across campus.

Unprecedented contribution (of approximately $461,000) from the federal government to the University

School of Graduate Studies (1951-52) accepts its first doctoral candidate in Doctor of Philosophy.

Articulation Committee reviews matriculation requirements.

1952

Dr. E.P. Scarlett becomes University Chancellor.

New matriculation requirements are passed.

Evening classes for degree credit begin in Edmonton and Calgary.

Provincial Lab opens

MacEachern Cancer Research Laboratory opens

Library conversion to the Library of Congress (LC) system begins.

1953

Al Ryan, warden of Assiniboia becomes Provost

Library begins building its maps and atlases collection to support new geography curriculum.

1954

Agriculture Building is officially opened.

School of Physical Education is formed.

1955

School of Pharmacy is raised to Faculty status.

Department of Physical Education becomes a School.

1956

John Duby, honours graduate in Chemical engineering and second Rhodes Scholar from the Faculty is appointed sessional lecturer in Mechanical Engineering.

1957

School of Graduate Studies becomes a Faculty.

Jubilee Auditorium is constructed.

New Administration Building is opened.

Dr. Walter Johns becomes first Vice-President.

1958

L.Y. Cairns becomes Chancellor.

President Stewart resigns to become the head of the Board of Broadcast Governors

1959

Dr. Walter Johns becomes President.

Devonian Botanic Garden is founded.



Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved