<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:21:48 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Timeline

Corbett Hall
Corbett Hall

Education Building
Education Building

Demolition of the Tuck Shop
Demolition of the Tuck Shop

HUB Mall Interior
HUB Mall Interior

Cameron Library
Cameron Library

Law Centre
Law Centre

Devonian Botanic Garden
Devonian Botanic Garden


Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1970–79)

1970

Collège Saint-Jean becomes part of the U of A.

Archives undertakes a records survey.

$3.5 million deficit is announced.

Freeze on hiring (1970-1971)

Early 1970s (indeterminate date) Toronto architects and planners Diamond and Myers develop a long-range campus plan.

Physical Education addition is completed.

Stadium Parkade is completed.

Tuck Shop is demolished and an era ends.

1971

Spring and summer session introduced with six-week intensive courses (1971/1972).

Central Academic Building opens.

Faculty of Agriculture becomes Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry.

Construction on Rutherford Library North begins.

1972

Students win parity with professors on General Faculty Council.

Law Centre is completed and officially houses the John A. Weir Memorial Law Library.

Humanities Centre opens.

1973

First advanced registration for Law and Medicine is introduced.

Housing Union Building (HUB) officially opens.

Fine Arts Centre opens.

Mechanical Engineering Building is occupied.

Chemistry East is completed.

Education North is completed.

Rutherford North, Humanities and Social Sciences Library, is completed.

First computer-generated list of the Library’s holdings of 26,000 serials titles is produced.

1974

Harry Gunning succeeds Max Wyman as President.

Archives submits a document retention and disposal policy, which is approved by the Board of Governors.

Athabasca and Pembina Hall are restored.

Restored Rutherford opens to the public.

Computerized library acquisitions system is established.

1975

University’s financial difficulties begin to turn around with a 1975-1976 operating budget of $107 million

The Archives becomes an independent department.

1976

Board of Governors buys HUB for $1.00.

Archives and Documents Committee establishes a sub-committee for Documents Retention and Disposal (DRAD).

1977

St. Stephen’s College building designated a Provincial Historic Resource.

Alberta Community Development moves into St. Stephen’s

1978

Collège Saint-Jean becomes Faculté Saint-Jean.

Power Plant opens.

First United Way Campaign on campus.

Alex Cairns, Registrar (since 1956) retires.

Non-academic Staff Association (NASA) successfully obtains legal status as an employee organization.

1979

Myer Horowitz succeeds Harry Gunning as President.



Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved