<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:22:37 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Timeline

Chancellor Charles Allan Stuart
Chancellor
Charles Allan Stuart

Queen Alexandra School
Queen Alexandra School

Old Scona High School
Old Scona High School

Arts Building 1909
The foundation and basement for the Arts Building are constructed

Athabasca Hall
Athabasca Hall

Assiniboia Hall
Assiniboia Hall is completed

Pembina Hall
The student residence, Pembina Hall, is completed


Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1905–09)

1905

Alberta becomes a province.

Alexander Cameron Rutherford becomes Premier.

1905

Alberta becomes a province.

Alexander Cameron Rutherford becomes Premier.

1906

The first session of the provincial legislature passes a University Act that establishes and incorporates a University for the Province of Alberta.

1907

The University Act is amended to allow for the appointment of a President.

Premier Rutherford announces the purchase of the land for the university.

The University Act is amended to allow for the appointment of a President.

The Alberta Government buys River Lot Five in the City of Strathcona as a home for the University

1908

In January, Dr. Henry Marshall Tory is appointed President of the University of Alberta.

Mr. Justice Charles Allan Stuart is elected as the first Chancellor of the University.

The Senate meets in March.

Henry Marshall Tory presents his plans for the university

U of A’s first faculty—Arts and Science is established.

The Senate allocates $5,000 for library books.

Department of Engineering is established.

In September, the first classes were held in what is now Queen Alexandra School, with forty-five students and a faculty of five.

Students’ Union begins.

During 1908-1909, Tory (with Mr. Sydney Woods) drafts a new University Act, which helped guide the University for decades.

1909

The University was relocated to the roomier Strathcona Collegiate Institute (now known as Old Scona High School). The University remains at this location until Athabasca Hall is completed.

The foundation and basement for the Arts Building are constructed.

Because of financial and political reasons, the completion of the Arts building is delayed by building the University’s three residential halls.

A group of undergraduate women form a student group called the Wauneita Society.



Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved