<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:22:44 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Timeline

St. Stephen?s College, Alberta College
The construction of Alberta College begins (later renamed St. Stephen's College.)

Athabasca Hall
Athabasca Hall

Assiniboia Hall
Assiniboia Hall is completed

Pembina Hall
The student residence, Pembina Hall, is completed

the Gateway
the Gateway

The original Tuck Shop is opened by an ex-Londoner Bill Smith
The original Tuck Shop is opened by an ex-Londoner Bill Smith

University farm
The University Stock Farm is purchased

The Varsity Tuck Shop
The Varsity Tuck Shop

Department of Extension
Department of Extension

Dr. J.B. Collip
Dr. J.B. Collip

Medicine Class of 1925
Medicine Class of 1925

St Joseph's College
St Joseph's College is built on campus

CKUA begins
CKUA begins


Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1920–29)

1920

Curriculum is revised so it’s more flexible.

Wearing academic gowns to class is dropped.

Department of Dentistry becomes a school.

1921

Medical Building is completed.

Dr. Tory arranges a sabbatical year and a Rockefeller Traveling Fellowship for Dr. James Collip, a brilliant University of Alberta scientist and teacher. Dr. Collip works in Toronto with Frederick Banting, Charles Best, and R.R. Macleod on diabetes research and the discovery of insulin.

Scientific and Industrial Research Council of Alberta (founded by Tory) is renamed Alberta Research Council (ARC).

Volume I Evergreen and Gold yearbook was hardbound and had 114 pages.

1922

Canadian Army returns hospital to University control.

Applied Science (Engineering) becomes a Faculty.

Eyrl and Warren take over proprietorship of “The Varsity Tuck Shop” in 1922 and in 1924, they enlarged the premises.

The Extension Library holds 4,000 volumes.

University Librarian Donald Cameron implements annual student library fee of $5 to generate a guaranteed annual budget for acquisition of books.

Medical and agricultural reading rooms open.

1923

Department of Extension continues to reach Alberta communities with traveling libraries, lectures, courses.

Law reading room opens.

1924

School of Nursing opens

Dentistry offers complete five-year program

1925

Faculty of Medicine graduates students trained entirely at the U of A

1926

Students’ Union leads organizing the Canadian Federation of Students

1927

St Joseph’s College is built on campus

CKUA begins

Rutherford becomes Chancellor.

1928

An agreement between the University and the Department of Education creates Normal School (School of Education).

Household Economics becomes a School.

Tory resigns to become president the National Research Council in Ottawa.

Ottewell becomes University’s Registrar.

Corbett becomes head of the Department of Extension.

Dr. Robert Wallace becomes U of A’s second president.

1929

University ends its ban on fraternities.

Provincial Normal School, offers teacher training courses.

University Hospital is taken over by the Province with the U of A represented on the board.



Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved