<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:22:50 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Timeline

Senate
Senate

Canadian Officers Training Corps Inspection
Canadian Officers Training Corps Inspection

Radio & Technology Laboratory
Radio & Technology Laboratory

Education Building
Education Building

Seventh Annual Refresher Couse in Municipal Administration
Seventh Annual Refresher Couse in Municipal Administration

Students Writing Exams
Students Writing Exams

New Soldiers Wing
New Soldiers Wing

Medical Building Addition under construction
Medical Building Addition under construction


Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1940–49)

1940

Cecil Burgess, first and only professor of Architecture, retires.

1941

President Kerr resigns.

Robert Newton is named Acting-President.

The Survey Committee is established to review the University’s entire operation.

Chancellor Rutherford passes away less than 14 days after the 1941 Convocation.

The military takes over student residences, the Education Building (Normal School) and St. Joseph’s College.

Many students belong to Canadian Officers Training Corps (COTC).

Reg Lister was loaned to the Dominion government as Barrack Warren.

Miss Florence Dodd, longest-serving Dean of Women, retires.

1942

Robert Newton takes the permanent position as the University’s President.

A new University Act is passed.

General Faculty Council is created by the 1942 University Act.

The first of its kind in Canada, the Faculty of Education is established.

Department of Fine Arts is established, which formalizes scholarship and teaching of music and the visual arts.

First issue of New Trail

Military builds a large Drill Hall and Canteen.

1943

Department of Extension receives a special grant from Rockefeller Foundation for a project on Alberta Folklore and Local History.

1944

Dr. John MacEachran, first Provost, retires and is replaced by P.S. Warren.

School of Dentistry becomes a Faculty.

1945

World War II ends.

The University is given sole responsibility for teacher education (primary and secondary).

Faculty of Arts and Science draws up a new type of curriculum.

Government programs help returning veterans to enter universities.

Enrolment nearly doubles as veterans return.

Mewburn Memorial Pavilion is built.

1946

The Memorial War Organ in Convocation Hall is rededicated to those who died in World War II.

Registrar Albert Ottewell and former Director of the Department of Extension passed away.

1947

Henry Marshall Tory passed away.

Support staff (non-academic) individually join the already existing Civil Service Association (CSA) of Alberta and form Branch 22 for Edmonton and Calgary.

1948

Medical Building receives an addition.

Construction of the Students’ Union Building begins.

The first Bachelor of Education degree in Physical Education is offered.

Hon John Campbell Bowen, Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, lays the cornerstone of Rutherford Library.

1949

Reg Lister, long-serving Superintendent of Residences is made an honorary member of Convocation upon his retirement.



Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved