hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 19:22:59 Sep 30, 2014, and is part of the University of Alberta Websites collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information


Lister Hall Construction
Lister Hall Construction

Corbett Hall
Corbett Hall

Education Building
Education Building

Spring Convocation
Spring Convocation

Construction site for the modern S.U.B
Construction site for the modern S.U.B

Faculty Club at night
Faculty Club at night

Diamond Jubilee Convocation
Diamond Jubilee Convocation

Max Wyman
Max Wyman

Demolition of the Tuck Shop
Demolition of the Tuck Shop

HUB Mall Interior
HUB Mall Interior

Cameron Library
Cameron Library

Law Centre
Law Centre

Devonian Botanic Garden
Devonian Botanic Garden

Timeline from 1900 to 2000 1910 1930 1950 1970 1990 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

University of Alberta Timeline (1960–69)


The campus comprises 133 acres with 12 major teaching buildings.

Varsity Rink is torn down.

Physical Education complex, including a pool and rink, is opened.

Physical Science buildings open.

University of Alberta in Calgary opens with two new buildings

Extension offers a series of seminars such as World Politics, Issues in Canadian Politics, and Totalitarianism and Democracy.

Department of Psychology is established.

The Boreal Institute (founded in the early 1960s) is a multidisciplinary research institute that fosters northern studies.


Students begin plans for a new Students’ Union Building.

Calgary campus is renamed University of Alberta, Calgary.

Extension provides program enrichment courses to exceptional Grade 11 and Grade 12 students.


Extension launches the Prospect for Peace series.


Faculty of Arts and Science are spilt into separate faculties.

The Edmonton Normal School is renamed Corbett Hall in honor of Ned Corbett (Department of Extension).

Education Building and Education Library is completed.

Calgary students drive for autonomy.

Mrs. Vivienne Joan Harwood is the first female sessional instructor appointed to the Faculty of Engineering.

Education Library opens.


Faculty Club opens.

Lister Hall completed 1964 or 1965

School of Physical Education is renamed the Faculty of Physical Education.

Cameron Library officially opens.


With another name change, University of Alberta at Calgary (UAC) is given academic and financial autonomy.

Library takes over the staffing and operation of the John W. Scott Library in the University Hospital.

Library expenditures on books and other information resources exceed $500,000.


The Henry Marshall Tory Building opens.

Universities Act passes and UAC becomes University of Calgary.

Lethbridge and Banff School of Fine arts are separated from the University of Alberta.

University Act alters the structure of U of A’s General Faculties Council.


New Students’ Union Building opens.

Vice-President for Planning and Development is appointed.

University Archivist position created.

Chemical and Petroleum Engineering and Mining and Metallurgy (1967-68) move into permanent quarters.

Extension obtains an Alberta government grant to teach a series of seminars about citizenship, legal rights, and various business and vocational subjects.


Extension’s Educational Media Division acquires a portable closed-circuit television system.

James McPherson Parker is appointed as the first University Archivist.

School of Library Science is created.

Third storey is added to the Education Library.

University celebrates its Diamond Jubilee.


Hot Caf is demolished to make way for the Central Academic Building.

Walter Johns retires.

Max Wyman, the first Albertan and the first U of A graduate becomes President.

University of Alberta Press is established.

Board of Governors approves Archives policy.

North Wing of Cameron Library opens.

Automation of library circulation begins.

University of Alberta support staff form their own association, the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).

Copyright © University of Alberta | Heritage Community Foundation | Albertasource.ca
All Rights Reserved