hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:06:01 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
CKUA Sound Archives
Search
Go
English
Français

  

  

   

Heritage Canada CKUA Radio Network Heritage Community Foundation

HomeBackgroundProgrammingProgrammingSound ArchiveEdukitSitemapAbout UsContact

CKUA Top 5 Hot Files

1. Part 1 – Workshop West Theatre's artistic di...(Arts Alberta)
more
 
2. Part 1- Tony Dillon-Davis talks with the Jef...(Arts Alberta)
more
 
3. Part 1 – Tommy Banks talks to Allan Sheldon ...(Arts Alberta)
more
 
4. Part 1 – Colin McLean talks with Jim Marsh, ...(Arts Alberta)
more
 
5. Part 1 – The new theatre program at Grant Ma...(Arts Alberta)
more

About Us

1922
Harold Purcey (H.P.) Brown of University of Alberta Department of Extension suggests "bringing the university to the people" might be better accomplished on radio than by sending instructors on the road to rural communities.

1927
CKUA Radio signs on from its studios on University of Alberta campus on Nov. 21.

1929
CKUA carries Alberta's first School Broadcast, on May 23.

1932
Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission is created, and replaced in 1936 with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. The CBC carries CKUA-produced drama series, New Lamps for Old.

1941
CKUA increases power to 1,000 watts to handle interference from other radio stations' signals.

1944
CKUA sends newscasts via telephone line to northern Canada and Alaska at the request of the American army.

1945
On July 28, CKUA moves from University of Alberta campus to the Provincial Building in downtown Edmonton. Alberta Government Telephones assumes ownership of station.

1948
CKUA is granted an FM radio licence at 98.1 FM.

1949
After experimenting with stereo broadcasting with CHED in 1948, CKUA becomes one of the first stations in Canada and the first in Edmonton to broadcast in stereo.

1950
CKUA moves to its present home at 10526 Jasper Avenue.

1974
The Alberta Educational Communications Corporation (ACCESS), born in 1973, takes over CKUA.

1975
CKUA broadcasts in FM stereo, and new transmitter stations enable the station to reach 85 per cent of Alberta's population. CKUA airs Question Period from the Alberta Legislature.

1985
CKUA broadcasts 15 hours of continuous live coverage of the Conservative Leadership Convention. CKUA sends its signal to Anik C-3 satellite orbiting 22,000 miles above the earth to broadcast to the 14 FM transmitters located around the province.

1987
Listener-supported radio begins in face of provincial government threat to shut down station.

1994
Privatization of CKUA begins, with the station moved from ACCESS to the CKUA Radio Foundation in August.

1996
Feb. 29, 1996, CKUA becomes the first Canadian station to broadcast over the Internet via RealAudio.

1997
Station is shut down when transitional funding is exhausted. Five weeks later, the station again signs on, after station ownership is transferred and with a new board of directors in place.

2000
April 2000, CKUA is launched onto the World Wide Web. Listeners from more than 60 countries can listen to the Edmonton-born network via their computers.

2002
On Nov. 21, CKUA celebrates its 75th anniversary, and begins a year of events.

 

Top Back

Back to the CKUA Timeline »