<
 
 
 
 
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:10:32 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

In biblical terms, a jubilee year—which occurs each half-century—is a time for emancipation and restoration. Albertans have now had both experiences with the Northern and Southern Alberta Jubilee auditoria.

On May 4, 1954, Premier Ernest C. Manning announced that the province would build massive auditoria in Edmonton and Calgary to mark Alberta’s Golden Jubilee year of 1955. The biblical meaning of the word was not lost on the evangelical premier, and his jubilee project was intended to emancipate Albertans from cultural darkness. Manning appointed a Cabinet committee to plan the twin venues for cultural, educational, exhibition, recreational, and religious activities.

The government originally conceived of modest facilities costing $1.25 million each. The projects quickly became more ambitious as the committee reviewed facilities such as Radio City Music Hall in New York and the Royal Festival Hall in London. By the time they were completed, each Jubilee Auditorium cost $4.5 million.

The auditoria were intended as a tribute to pioneers who had shaped the province’s development, but they also embodied a confidence in the future that was widely felt following the discovery of oil at Leduc in 1947. (Weekend

inside the Jubilee
Jubilee Building
Jubilation

Re-opening
the doors to
Alberta's
Northern and
Southern
Jubilee
Auditoria

By Harry Sanders
LEGACY   Fall 2005
LEGACY   Fall 2005

<< Previous | Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 | Next >>
Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17