Norway House, named after the Norwegian
labourers who constructed it, was built in 1814 in what is now
present-day Manitoba. It was a major supply
depot and transportation link for the Hudson's Bay Company, with three
posts built in the area.
mission at Norway House did not begin until 1840 when Robert Rundle
arrived en route to Fort Edmonton. He stayed at Norway House until his
Evans, was settled at the
post. Rossville, named after
Chief Factor Donald Ross, soon grew up as a community around the fort and
the mission consequently moved there in 1841 to serve the small nearby
Norway House was of great importance to Methodist efforts in the
Canadian West. The mission acted as a vital link for information and
all Western missions and the central Methodist church, and from 1840 until
1863 it was the home of the Superintendent of
Missions for the Saskatchewan District.
After 1863 Norway House and the Rossville
Mission, with the increased
use of overland transportation routes, was no longer as necessary as a
supply depot. In 1868 it was absorbed into the Red River District (renamed
in 1887, the Winnipeg District). In 1998 the mission
was commemorated with a plaque and service at the United Church in
Rossville, where hymns sung in both Cree and English reflected the
multicultural heritage of Norway House and the Rossville Mission.