hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:14:03 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Missions and Related Sites

              Home   /   Sitemap   /   About   /   Partners   /   Mission Era Timeline   /   Research Corner   /

McDougall School Orphanage- MorleyIn 1873 George McDougall appointed his son John to establish a mission on the Bow River at Morley to work among the Blackfoot and Stoney-Nakoda people in southern Alberta. The mission rapidly grew and temporary buildings soon gave way to permanent structures. An orphanage/school was constructed by 1883 and remained in operation until 1908 when it was replaced by a nearby residential school. The mission Morley Missioncontinued to actively serve the surrounding community and, to more effectively function, in 1921 moved entirely to the nearby Morleyville settlement. In 1951 the original, abandoned church was restored and has since been used for special services-both the United Church of Canada and the Province of Alberta have recognized it as a historic site. 

 

 

 


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Methodism and Methodist settlement in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved