hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:14:04 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Missions and Related Sites

              Home   /   Sitemap   /   About   /   Partners   /   Mission Era Timeline   /   Research Corner   /

Treaties MapA mission to the Kainai (Blood) tribe (one of three tribes that make up the Blackfoot Nation) was a relatively late endeavour on the part of most churches. Itinerant missionaries entered the area south of the Bow River after the Jesuit Jean-Pierre de Smet and Methodist Robert Rundle first travelled to the region in the 1840s, but no permanent missions were established. With the signing of Treaty 7 in 1877 and designation of reserves, the Blackfoot Confederacy lost control over their traditional territories and the Anglican, Roman Catholic and Methodist churches all initiated the building schools, churches and hospitals.

Related Topics:
John MacLean>>

 

 

 

 

 


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Methodism and Methodist settlement in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved