hide You are viewing an archived web page collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:16:46 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

St-Paul des Métis becomes St. Paul

The Saint Paul des Métis project did not succeed. It became smaller each year until 1905. Some reasons were:

In 1905 the school was torched. It was not rebuilt.

By this time, the area had been surveyed for homesteads. The land had been loaned to the mission by the Government of Canada. Now the mission (parish) asked the government to allow settlement by French-Canadians wanting to move west. In 1909 the land was opened for homesteaders.

In 1936, the village became simply St. Paul. It was on its way to becoming a regional centre for the many Francophone people in the area.

Heritage Community Foundation logoEdukits.ca logoCanadian Heritage logo