hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:16:46 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

New French Speaking Albertans after 1905

After 1909 many small businesses were built in St.-Paul des Métis.. These were to serve the new customers arriving from Eastern Canada. Hotels, a lumberyard, a post office, a telegraph office, and supply stores were among the first enterprises to line the streets of Saint Paul des Métis.

The new arrivals at the Land Agency were settlers from near and far. Settlers came from

All were eager to start up farms in the new land. Here there was space, and freedom from wars and harsh rulers.

Aftera long wait, the railroad finally reached the hamlet. The people of the area had volunteered to finish the track connecting them to north Edmonton. St Paul boomed. It had a town council in the 1920s and became a village in 1936.

Heritage Community Foundation logoEdukits.ca logoCanadian Heritage logo