hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:16:55 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

Changes to Education in St. Paul

St.-Paul des Métis' was the first school in the St. Paul area. It was begun by the mission in 1897. Construction of this school for the Métis children continued until 1902. In January 1905, a fire started by an arsonist destroyed the school and resulted in the death of one student .

The early schools were French language schools and followed Roman Catholic Church values. A public school board was formed in 1910. This was to meet the needs of a growing community. The Alberta School Act made English the only language of instruction. This was ordered in French speaking communities such as St. Paul. French instruction was increased later on. This was at a time when other settlers were arriving. English language schools were also established.

St. Paul became the St. Paul Education Regional Division #1 and the East Central Francophone Education Regional Division. There are over 4,000 students (K-12) in six schools located in the town of St. Paul, and six in the County of St. Paul. Post-secondary education is available through the Portage College and Blue Quills First Nations College (2002).


Heritage Community Foundation logoEdukits.ca logoCanadian Heritage logo