hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:17:11 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Canadian Northern Railway

Canadian Northern Railway Station

The first railway to begin land negotiations for a terminal with the Town of Edmonton was the Canadian Northern Railway Co. in 1902. By February, the Hudson's Bay Co. agreed to sell 68.88 acres of its Reserve to the City of Edmonton for $25,000 for use by the Canadian Northern. The Hudson's Bay Co. and the Canadian Northern each agreed to contribute $5,000 towards the purchase price. On March 5, 1903, Edmonton's businessmen raised the remaining $15,000. This amount was later repaid to the group with the passage of Bylaw 237. It raised $30,000 for the purpose of granting the bonus to the Canadian Northern Railway and exempting it from taxation.

The land acquired by the Canadian Northern Railway in this transaction is now being redeveloped. A portion is occupied by Grant MacEwan Community College.

This article is extracted from John Gilpin, Responsible Enterprise: A History of Edmonton Real Estate & the Edmonton Real Estate Board. (Edmonton: Edmonton Real Estate Board, 1997). The Heritage Community Foundation and the Alberta Real Estate Foundation would like to thank John Gilpin and the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton for permission to reproduce this material.

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the real estate industry in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved