A Golden Age for Edmonton Real Estate 1951-1981
In 1951 Edmonton entered a golden age of spectacular growth, unprecedented in its history. A population explosion, a new civic centre, new subdivisions, and new suburbs transformed this city and the metropolitan area. Edmonton became a major centre for the petrochemical industry and expanded its traditional role as a government, educational, and transportation centre. Expectations since the early 1880s that a great city would be built on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River were realized.
Edmonton's expansion was reflected in the rapid growth of the real estate industry and substantial changes in its organization. The Edmonton Real Estate Association was replaced by an entirely new organization. The Edmonton Real Estate Board Co-operative listing Bureau, established in 1952, dramatically increased the services offered to its members. It established permanent offices to carry out its expanded role within the city of Edmonton and the province.
This article is extracted from John Gilpin, Responsible Enterprise: A History of Edmonton Real Estate & the Edmonton Real Estate Board. (Edmonton: Edmonton Real Estate Board, 1997). The Heritage Community Foundation and the Alberta Real Estate Foundation would like to thank John Gilpin and the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton for permission to reproduce this material.