Battleford, located where the North Saskatchewan and Battle
rivers meet, was incorporated as a town in 1910. It originated as a
small fur-trade settlement in the 1860s, and in 1876 was
designated the capital of the North-West Territories. In 1882 the
capital and the promised railway relocated to Regina. The railway
arrived in the Battleford
region in 1905, but bypassed the actual town.
This led to the creation of the North Battleford community. Today, the
region is a center for agriculture, manufacturing, and oil and gas
development. The history of the early settlement is preserved at a
national historic park called Fort Battleford. Alex Decoteau was born on
the Red Pheasant Reserve, located south of North Battleford.