hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:19:41 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer

Home    |    Info    |    Contact Us    |    Partners    |    Sitemap    |    Archives    

spacer
Alberta's Francophone Heritage
Background, People, Culture, Heritage Community Foundation, Albertasource and Alberta Lottery Fund

 

Francophone Edukit

Angel Spacer
Central Alberta Region
Quicklinks

Lacombe

Sylvan Lake

Trochu

Quicklinks

Building bridgeIn Central Alberta, French settlers who chose to take homesteads or buy ranch land in the area were more frequently French or Belgian immigrants than French-Canadian or Franco-American, as was the case in Edmonton or Northern Alberta.

A socialist colony was established at Sylvan Lake by some 30 French families in 1906 (led by Dr. Tanche of Lille) but after two years, the group disbanded. Some returned to France, others stayed and took homesteads. The town of Trochu was more permanent. Initially settled by Armand Trochu, a French officer from Belle Isle, he was joined by a number of young officers, mostly bachelors who took on ranching and farming instead of the military life. Nonetheless, when the First World War broke out, most men rejoined their regiments, as obliged by a treaty between France and Canada.

Building bridgeSeveral religious communities established themselves in the region, notably the Sisters of Charity of Notre-Dame d’Evron and the fathers of Tinchebray, who began several parishes, encouraging French settlers to the region.

Bottom


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Francophone Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved