The village of Tangent lies at the beginning of a straight
stretch of railway on the outside of a bend in the Smoky River.
Not surprisingly, the surveyors for the Edmonton, Dunvegan and
British Columbia Railway, who put the track there, suggested the
name. The line was built in 1916; the area was still a forest in
First settlers were the Ukrainians in 1928. French Canadians
from Manitoba, New England, and Quebec came to the area in 1929.
The next year, they put up a general store and a Post Office,
and built their first church (Parroise Saints Martyrs Canadiens)
a year later. The church’s second storey served as a dormitory
for those children who had to walk too far to get home from
school. The school was a two-room affair; it went up in 1942-43.
Five Sisters of Holy Cross taught in it, followed by four
Sisters of Charity. They left in 1971, and the school, which
once had 200 pupils, closed in 1977. Tangent now has 50
In the early years the settlers hunted and fur-farmed. There
was plenty of fur—the schoolyard would be overrun by hundreds of
muskrats. Once enough forest was cleared, the settlers started
growing grain. They suffered appalling hardships during the
Depression. The $9 they got from the government bought one bag
of flour, half-kilogram of tea, one-and-a-half kilograms of
sugar and a small pail of lard. This was to last a large family
a whole month. People survived by hunting moose, rabbits and
The government encouraged stock farming in the late 1930s and
early 1940s, and the settlers adapted by growing forage crops
such as alfalfa and clover. They could then raise large
quantities of pork, chickens, beef, and dairy cattle. Flax was
also a successful crop. In the 195050s, the forage grasses gave
rise to huge quantities of honey. Electricity came to Tangent in
The 1980s changed the landscape around Tangent yet again and
the fur farmers enjoyed a prosperity they had not previously
known. Seismic surveys determined the presence of gas and oil.
As a result, oil wells sprung up everywhere. The oil industry
also brought off-farm work to the region.