hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:20:40 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer
spacer

Home    |    Info    |    Contact Us    |    Partners    |    Sitemap    |    Archives    

spacer
Alberta's Francophone Heritage
Background, People, Culture, Heritage Community Foundation, Albertasource and Alberta Lottery Fund

 

Francophone Edukit

Angel Spacer
Le Courrier de l'ouest
Quicklinks

L'Ouest Canadien

Le Franco

Le Courrier de l'ouest

Le Progrès

CKRP Radio

CHFA Radio

CBXFT TV

Quicklinks

Published in Edmonton from 1905 to 1915, Le Courrier de l’Ouest was the only French language newspaper in Western Canada at the time of its first publication.1 The four main shareholders were Senator Philippe Roy, who owned 12 of the 60 shares; Charles W. Cross, an Edmonton lawyer; Frank Oliver, owner of the Edmonton Bulletin; and Prospère-Edmond Lessard, a well-known Edmonton merchant.

The main goal of the paper was to promote settlement in the West by francophone settlers. Given its mandate, the newspaper was distributed in Quebec, New England and several European countries with a French-speaking population.

At its peak stage, the paper had an edition of 3,000 papers. Since it served the population of the Canadian West, its pages tell a great deal about the activities of the francophone population of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

The paper can be read on microfilm and is slated to be digitized within the Bruce Peel Collection of the University of Alberta.

Bottom


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Francophone Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved