<
 
 
 
 
×
>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:26:07 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
SitemapSearchHelpContactPartnersEdukitsHome
Resource Inventory
History of Development
Innovation and New Technology Visit Alberta Source! Heritage Community Foundation
Heritage Trails presented courtesy of CKUA Radio Network Canada's Digital Collections

Home > History of Development > Leduc: Causes and Effects > The Town > Discovery of Black Gold

Leduc: Causes and Effects

Discovery of Black Gold

Leduc No. 1The population of Leduc during this time was approximately 1,000 citizens. The town had only a few amenities, such as a town hall, a fire engine, an outdoor curling rink, a baseball field and the Waldorf hotel. 

The drilling crew for Leduc No. 1, consisting of Vern Hunter and his wildcat crew of four drillers and 28 "roughnecks," who handled a variety of jobs around the rig, arrived in Leduc in November 1946. The citizens of Leduc were less than thrilled with the arrival of the drilling crew and specifically, the "roughnecks," who had a reputation for rowdiness.

BackNext


Technology Through TimeHeroes of Resource DevelopmentPlaces to GoEarly Industry: Case StudiesLeduc: Causes and Effects


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on natural resources in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved