Petroleum Club was incorporated on June 28, 1949. The formation of the Calgary
Petroleum Club was seen as the oil industry beginning to mature. Club founders
consisted of venturesome Canadian and American oilmen who believed that there
was a requirement for a private facility to serve as a social meeting ground. A
room in the Palliser Hotel became the birthplace of the Calgary Petroleum Club.
The objective of
the club is to be a prestigious industry meeting place where personal contacts
valuable to business and professional development are formed. Traditionally, oil
and gas executives have dominated membership and this trend continues today.
Other industries are also represented such as bankers, accountants, lawyers,
With the rapid
growth of the oil industry, club membership began to increase. On September 1,
1950, the merger of the Renfrew Club and the Calgary Petroleum Club was
approved and the combined membership moved onto the second floor of the Motor
Car Supply Building on Sixth Avenue West.
With the further
acceleration of industry activity and the discovery of Pincher Creek, Redwater
and many other oil and gas fields, the Club prospered with a membership of 954
and an $850.00 net operating profit in 1952.
By August 1958 the
club matured. It was on this date that the official opening of their
present facility took place and Calgary was also proclaimed the Oil Industry
Capital of Canada. In May 1989 the membership voted to admit women as full
In short, the
history of the club was made possible by the few pioneers and generations of
industry leaders who had followed them.