Mr. Mike Biollo talks about his father, Mr. Olivo John Biollo
- O.J. Biollo was born in 1886 in Venice, Italy
- he came to Winnipeg c.1900 where he married. His wife
came to Canada from Poland in 1899, at the age of 8.
- in Winnipeg with his two brothers, he tried his hand at a couple of
commercial enterprises - a restaurant, a hotel - but lost everything
- came to Edmonton and, with a number of others, formed a farming colony in
Venice in 1914
- O.J. Biollo gave the town of Venice its name (a lot of lakes around the
town reminded him of home in Italy)
- he was a businessman; operated a store and post office, built a grain
elevator and sawmill, built a Catholic church (for the entire community)
- moved to Edmonton in his old age, where he passed away.
Listen to Oral History |
Read Short Biography