Expansion and Regulation
During the 1880s
and 1890s, coal mining activity spread throughout the district. In 1882, the Lamoureaux family was mining near the Sturgeon River Mill, at the mouth of Egg
Lake Creek. Six years later, they opened a drift in the North Saskatchewan
valley near Saddle Lake Creek, and barged 800 tonnes of coal to Battleford. In
1881, Donald Ross opened his two drifts in McDougal Hill, and the following year
Malcolm Groat opened his mine. Richard Ottewell opened a mine near Clover Bar
during the 1880s.
Thus by 1895
there were numerous mines operating in Edmonton, and the village took its first
steps to regulate their activities. When the Moran and Graham mine's burning
slack could not be extinguished by the fire engine, a committee recommended that
in future all slack be dumped in the river.
In 1902, the
Cardiff mine opened north of Edmonton; it soon became a major producer,
employing 262 men, and selling 247,000 tonnes by 1913.
for tenders in 1903 to supply its new electric light plant; nine local companies
were considered large enough to supply this market.
Kenneth Tingley. Coal Mining in Alberta: An Introduction to Changes in Coal-Mining
Technology in the Plains and Parkland Areas, 1872-1955. n.p.:
Reynolds-Alberta Museum. With
permission from the Reynolds-Alberta