By 1907, Edmonton
was producing more coal than it could market, due to a proliferation of mines,
and a box car "blockade" on the railways. Twenty-six mines were
producing 2620 tonnes per day (including the Tofield mines). Edmonton began to
investigate buying local coal operations, but nothing came of this move.
Mine was a typical small mine opened during the local "coal boom"
preceding the arrival of the two transcontinental railways. R. B. McIntosh
operated this on River Lots 28 and 30. A sixty-foot shaft reached the 45 foot
seam. Four men produced about fifteen tonnes per day shortly after Mine No. 128
opened in 1907.
The shaft had a
manway provided with a ladder for the ascent and descent of the workmen. The
cage was raised in the shaft by means of a horse gin.
When the air
grew stale, ventilation was induced by lighting a fire in the return compartment
of the shaft. The following year an engine hoist was apparently installed.
However, poor pay and very wet working conditions led to the mine's early
closure in 1909.
Kenneth Tingley. Coal Mining in Alberta: An Introduction to Changes in Coal-Mining
Technology in the Plains and Parkland Areas, 1872-1955. n.p:
Reynolds-Alberta Museum. With
permission from the Reynolds-Alberta