A.M. Jeffers, the architect who designed Alberta's
Legislative Assembly Building, was born in Pawtucket, Rhode Island in
1875. He studied architecture at the Rhode Island School of Design before
moving to Edmonton in 1907 and replacing Edward Hopkins as Provincial
Architect. Jeffers supervised work on the Legislative Assembly Building
from 1907 to 1912. He is also credited with designing a number of
Alberta's best known public buildings, including courthouses in Calgary, Fort Saskatchewan, Cardston and Wetaskiwin, and McDougall School (now McDougall
Centre) in Calgary.
When Jeffers resigned as Provincial Architect in 1912,
Richard Blakey took over the project and completed the building. Blakey
made a number of changes in Jeffers' design, particularly in the rotunda and
Jeffers served as the City of Edmonton's architect until
1915, before going into private practice. In 1923 he moved to California
where he died in 1926.