By November 1911 work on the main structure of the
Legislature Building was complete enough that sittings could be held in the
Assembly Chamber. Other parts of the building still required finishing and
throughout the spring and summer of 1912 work continued at a frantic pace in
order to complete the building by September 3, 1912, the date chosen for the
official opening of the building by Canada's Governor General, the Duke of
Fortunately most of the main public areas of the building
were complete in time for the Governor General's arrival, although the large
carved oak doors still had no locks. As a result, the Duke pretended to
unlock the doors and someone opened them from the inside.
It was not until 1913 that all of the offices and other
less frequented areas of the building were finished, and the Premier, other
Members, and civil servants finally got to occupy their grand new home.