Fort Vermilion Heritage Centre
Situated northwest of Edmonton, Fort Vermilion vies
as the oldest town in Alberta with Fort Chipewyan. Located just
north of the 58th degree of latitude, the
settlement played an
instrumental role in determining the northern Alberta boarder because
of the importance of its flour and lumber mills.
The Fort Vermilion main street is composed of small stores retail
outlets, a modern Community Library, and historic buildings such as
the Bay Factor's house Cookhouse, stretch for six kilometres along the
banks of the Peace River.
Atop the hill overlooking the community is the Fort Vermilion
Heritage Centre at the Community and Cultural Complex. The
centre's Learn-to Museum and Archives exhibit displays the history of
the people and places in Alberta' vast northern wilderness.
The collections and exhibits include prehistoric bison bones, first
nations heritage, fur trade and families, life along the mighty peace,
the Dominion Experimental Farm, Buttertown as well as general
community and natural history.
Another must see is the Visitor Log House, a rustic, hand-hewn,
dove-tailed log structure built circa 1923 which is home to the
visitors' centre. Within the log house there are further displays,
northern crafts, souvenirs, heritage pamphlets, tourist information
services, vacation booklets and maps.