When Reverend W.C. Bompas arrived in Fort Chipewyan in 1867, he was the first Anglican missionary to arrive in the Peace River country. Reverend Bompas traveled from Fort Chipewyan to Fort Vermilion, visiting the Dunne-za First Nation bands in the area. Then his travels took him from Fort Chipewyan to Hudson’s Hope as he vaccinated about 500 First Nations people against small pox. He became the first bishop of the Athabasca diocese in 1874.
The Athabasca diocese had its home base at Fort Simpson, which was later moved to Fort Chipewyan. In 1884, the Anglican diocese in the north was split, forming the Athabasca and Mackenzie dioceses. Reverend Richard Young became the new Bishop of Athabasca. Bompas became the Bishop of Mackenzie.
Reverend John Brick played an important role in preparing the Peace River country for the settlers when he arrived in 1882 in Dunvegan to replace Reverend T. Bunn. In addition to his missionary work, John Brick and his two sons planted several acres of wheat, barley, oats, buckwheat, peas, and beans in 1885. The following year he moved his mission down the river to Shaftsbury flats and planted crops on the flats and at Old Wives Lake. The success of these crops demonstrated that agriculture could be successful in the Peace River country. John Brick sent a sample of his wheat crop to the Chicago World Fair in 1893 and won first place for it.
Reverend A.C. Garrioch traveled to Fort Vermilion and established a mission in 1876. He attracted a number of early settlers from Montreal to join him to establish an agricultural community in 1879.
After marrying, Reverend Garrioch returned to Dunvegan, to where he was born, but while he was there most of the Dunne-za died of whooping cough and measles. Many others moved away. With the possibility of the fort closing at Dunvegan, Garrioch left for Manitoba.
Other Anglican missions included Lesser Slave Lake on the north side of Buffalo Bay, Peace River Crossing, and Lake Saskatoon.
After the first wave of settlement that started in 1911, many other congregations formed in the Peace River, like the Lutheran, Baptist, Ukrainian Catholic, Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox.