hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:39:32 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Wings Over Alberta
 Navigate   

quicklinks

The Royal Canadian Air Force
Women's Division
Roll Call

Home>> Homefront>> The Divisions>> RCAF Women's Division

Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division 

In 1941, two years after the inception of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP), the Royal Canadian Air Force Women’s Division (RCAF WD) was formed. H.R.H. Princess Alice, wife to the Governor General of Canada, was invited to give her support and became the Honorary Air Commandant. Women across the country cheered and lined up to join the war effort.

Women were not permitted to be trained as fighters and their participation was best described by the slogan "We serve that men may fly". Although women could not be trained for combat, their contribution was no less important. In the beginning, there were eight official trades for enlistment in the Women’s Division: cook, clerk, equipment assistant, fabric worker, hospital assistant, motor transport driver, telephone operator or general duties. As the war persisted, women were later enlisted to do some of the work that men did, and so they became service police, motor mechanics, radio operators, meteorologists and photographers.

Members of the Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division working in the Repair Depot at Royal Canadian Air Force Station Edmonton, Alberta, No. 2 Air Observer School.Comparable to the Initial Training School that the men had to go through, basic training for women lasted four weeks and upon completion, one was AW2 (Air Woman 2) by rank and Standard by trade classification. It was from this point that women would specialize and eventually be posted.Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division (RCAFWD) at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Fort Macleod, Alberta. Home of No. 7 Service Flying Training School (SFTS).

The pre-existing attitude toward women enlisting was not terribly positive. Some people challenged the presence of women in the Air Force and women who wanted to enlist were often not supported. Although women had officially been invited to enlist, that did not mean all felt they were a welcome addition. Some people felt "nice women" did not join up. How frustrating this must have been, men were idolized for donning a uniform and women were berated. Nonetheless, the women involved pressed on. Many found that in training, they would build up skills and confidence in being part of the RCAF. However, on posting days, they were met with resistance from the men on the bases.

A Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division member working in the radio room  at Royal Canadian Air Force Station Edmonton, Alberta, No. 2 Air Observer School.Eventually, after women had been part of the RCAF for a while, and had shown their male counterparts that their role was of just as much value, they were accepted as an integral part of the organization. However, in 1945 when the war ended, the Royal Canadian Air Force decided to close the Women’s Division. Women were not allowed back into the RCAF until 1951.

Back Top

The Alberta Online EncyclopediaHeritage Community FoundationCanada's Digital CollectionsRoyal Canadian Air Force

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Alberta’s contribution to World War II, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved