Northwest Cattle Company: From 1881 to 1902, Fred Stimson and the North West Cattle Company practiced open range ranching. As Stimson gradually added buildings, corrals and fences and adapted to changing circumstances the North West Cattle Company soon became the Bar U Ranch, one of the most successful ranches in Alberta's history. From 1902-1925 the Ranch gained international repute as a centre of breeding excellence for cattle and purebread Percheron horses while under the direction of George Lane and his partners. While most of the large ranches of the 1880s went out of business in the early twentieth century, the Bar U has survived to the present day. This long history and the structures from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries provide a direct link with the early years of ranching in Alberta.