Stettler is located 101 kilometres east of Red Deer at the intersection of Highways 12 and 56. Swiss immigrant Carl Stettler founded the town of Blumenau in 1905. However, by the end of the year, the town's eight establishments moved two miles west in order to reap the benefits of Lacombe's newly expanding railway network. They named the new site Stettler. Recently, the town has experienced considerable growth-economically and demographically-due to its direct involvement with Alberta's oil field sector. At the time of the 2006 census, Stettler had a population of 5,148.