hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:47:40 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

The Community


Caboose for the threshing crew at St. Vincent.

Founded in 1896, the small hamlet of St. Vincent was one of many French-speaking communities that emerged in the 20th century as a result of the vigorous recruitment efforts of the Oblate missionaries. Pioneering life was difficult and individuals formed strong community bonds not only to increase their odds of survival, but also to improve their quality of life. Social groups and gatherings, religious organizations and festivals renewed connections between neighbours, helping to preserve the French culture of the region. Some families have remained in the area for generations, and many of them continue to make their living through farming and ranching.

 
English / Français
The Heritage Community Foundation created the content of this site


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the towns of St. Vincent and St. Paul, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved