Father Chalifoux was an energetic person and established a mission at
Rife, east of Saint-Vincent, where Saint Anne's chapel was built. He
also visited the Polish community at Flat Lake, until a full time
parish priest was established there.
Upon need, he
tended the neighbouring parishes of Saint-Lina, Mallaig and Thérien.
In 1936, Saint Vincent hosted the Eucharistic Congress of the Diocese
of Edmonton (the Diocese of Saint-Paul was only established in 1948),
Several pictures of this event can be seen in his photo collection.
With his help, the parish established a boarding school for the local
children in the 1940s, and which continued to exist until the arrival
of a school bus in 1955. After this time, the large dormitory was
moved to the parish's
birthplace on the north side of Vincent Lake and become a summer camp
which served the children of the diocese of St. Paul for many years. A
product of his time, he encouraged French-Canadians to stay on the
farm and fretted with they took on work "outside",
as many of them did when the Cold Lake Air Base was built in the early
1950s. Read More...