Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
One of St. Vincent's pioneers, Parfait Martin was born at Napierville, Québec, on July 22, 1895. He was an orphan at the age of six, so he and his brother Henri, were taken into their uncle Louis Martin's home. In 1906, Louis moved his family and young Parfait and Henri to St. Vincent. Here, they attended the local school and with their cousins, helped with the yard work. The first mass in St. Vincent was celebrated at their home at St. Vincent Lake.
In 1914, Parfait and Henri enlisted in the army for the duration of the First World War. They returned in 1920, eager to get back to farming and to the resumption of normal living.
On April 18, 1922, Parfait married Emilienne Brousseau. She was the daughter of St. Vincent pioneers, Andre Brousseau and Angelina Langevin. They had come to St. Vincent from St. Bernard de Dorchester, Québec, in 1907 and resided there until 1967.
After their wedding, they worked for a while in their cousin's store, and Emilienne would occasionally teach at the local school. In 1924, they bought some land from Mr. Delphis Gratton, a few miles from St. Vincent. Here they raised their family of seven children, all of whom were baptized at St. Vincent.
As of 1981, Therese, Ghislaine and Herma are living in Edmonton; Adrienne is in St. Paul, Andre at Beaumont and Gerald at Grande Prairie. Jean resides on the family homestead. Since the St. Vincent Parish was divided in 1942, this area is now within the Thérien boundaries.Source:
English / Français
|Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
For more on the towns of St. Vincent and St. Paul, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
|Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved|