hide You are viewing an archived web page collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:48:00 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Early Settlement

Federal Land Office

On April 10, 1909, the dream of a Métis colony was abandoned, and St-Paul-des-Métis was officially opened to outside settlers. Potential homesteaders had lined up all morning at the Dominion Government Land Office, hoping to get first crack at the area’s rich farm land. Many small businesses also emerged, aiming to capitalize on the arrival of new customers, and the tiny town of St-Paul-des-Métis began to take shape as a developing western settlement. Hotels, a lumberyard, a post office and telegraph office, and supply stores were among the first enterprises to line the streets of St-Paul-des-Métis.

The first eastern settler

Many of the new arrivals at the Land Agency were French settlers from the surrounding areas and Québec, however, homesteaders from all backgrounds, including Ukraine and the United Kingdom, were also eager to stake their claim. Over the next decade, the town blossomed. By the roaring Twenties, there was a town council, and, in 1936,  St. Paul was officially granted village status.

English / Français
The Heritage Community Foundation created the content of this site

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on the towns of St. Vincent and St. Paul, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved