hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:48:17 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.

Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia

Cemeteries

Approximately one hundred Estonian pioneers and their descendents are buried at the Estonian Cemetery near Linda Hall in the Stettler area. Stettler-Big Valley's Estonian Chapel also featured an Estonian cemetery built in 1906. The local community appointed Hans Asberg the first undertaker as he was fluent in English. Joseph Tipman Jr. was the cemetery's secretary-treasurer and maintained burial records until his death in 2000. In 1907, there were three recorded burials. Reverend Sillak was adamant in his request to bury only Estonians in the cemetery. Anyone of non-Estonian descent was buried outside the cemetery. The property required proper enclosure and members of the community soon built a fence around the premises. In 1996, a trust fund was established for the perpetual care and maintenance of both the chapel and the cemetery. Beneath rows of iron crosses and beautiful headstones rest approximately 100 Estonian pioneers and their descendants: they provide testimony to the Estonian presence in the Stettler-Big Valley area.

Gilby (Kalmu) Cemetery was established by Estonian pioneers in 1914 on land donated by Jaak Kinna.. Inevitably the Estonian community living in the Medicine Valley required burial land. In 1903, a small plot of land on Charlie Raabis' property south east of Gilby was used as a cemetery. Otto Kingsep, visiting from Estonia, and father of Henry and Kristian Kingsep, was one of the first persons buried in this Cemetery. Within a few years it was abandoned in favor of the new Gilby (Kalmu) Cemetery and the orginal grounds fell into disrepair. The cemetery was rededicated during the Gilby Centennial in 2001.

Estonian pioneers reconvened on 13 June 1913 to discuss the origins of the Gilby (Kalmu) Cemetery Company. Kalmu, in Estonian, refers to a resting place. The community strongly sought the establishment of a permanent resting place for friends and family. Members of the organizational committee included Mike Sestrap and Fritz Kinna. Minutes compiled during the meeting stipulated that all graves were to be elevated and a cross erected above each plot. Initially, plots sold for $8 but rose another $2 over the next few decades. Oscar Mottus constructed a 10-foot cross, painted black, to be erected in a central location in the cemetery. Volunteers gathered once a year to properly maintain and clean the cemetery. By 1977, the Gilby (Kalmu) Cemetery was the final resting place of 231 bodies; three decades later, it continues to serve the needs of the Medicine Valley community. The Estonian cemetery in Barons was rededicated in 2004.

Alberta's Estonian Heritage
Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Estonian Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.

Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved