Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Located five miles (eight kilometres) from the main University of Alberta campus, the Faculté Saint-Jean is a cornerstone of the province’s Francophone community. Founded in 1908 as the Juniorate of St. John the Apostle, the campus was originally a seminary for the Oblate missionaries. In 1910 the campus moved from Pincher Creek to Edmonton and was first affiliated with the University of Alberta in 1963. Transferred to the University in 1976, the college was fully integrated into the University by 1978 and was officially renamed the Faculté Saint-Jean.
From birth, it was the Faculté’s mission to promote bilingualism, French culture and academic achievement in Canada’s Francophone communities. Approximately 500 students pass through its doors every year, where they can pursue general Bachelor's degrees in Arts, Sciences and Education or a bilingual undergraduate program in Business Administration. The Faculté also offers a Master’s program in Education. The campus itself plays host to a wide variety of cultural events including Francophone theatre, music and events. Today the Faculté Saint-Jean is the only university west of Manitoba that offers French-language university-degree programs.
English / Français
|Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
For more on the towns of St. Vincent and St. Paul, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
|Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved|