The Sopwith Camel was introduced
in 1917 and offered two different types: the F.1 Camel that was
used by the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), and the 2F.1 version that
was used by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS).
The primary difference between the two aircraft was that the Sopwith Camel 2F.1 had a wingspan 33.02 centimetres narrower
than the F.1, and its fuselage was built in two pieces enabling
the plane to be taken apart for placement onto ships.
Additionally, the 2F.1 had a Lewis gun over the wing, and a
Vickers gun on the fuselage, while the F.1 had two Vickers guns
mounted on the fuselage.
The Sopwith Camel was so successful as a fighting aircraft it
remained in use until the end of the war.