The Avro 504K was used at the
beginning of the First World War as a
reconnaissance and bombing aircraft, and later as a Zeppelin
interceptor and Trainer.
As a result of the active use of the Avro 504K, production
was set up in Toronto near the end of the war to produce a
Canadian version of the aircraft. Production on the Canadian
Avro 504K began, but abruptly ceased as the war came to an end
after only two machines had been manufactured.
Following the First World War, Canada received an Imperial
gift from Britain that included 30 Avro 504 Trainers. Six of
these aircraft were later sold to civilians for commercial use.
In February 1922, an Avro 504 was the first aircraft to make
a flight to James Bay in winter conditions.