hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:55:48 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
table anchor table anchor table anchor
Alberta's Aviation Heritage
spacer    Home   |   About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Partners   |   Sitemap spacer
spacer History, Planes, People and Virtual Heritage
Quicklinks

Tracking An Outlaw

Curtiss OX5 Engine

Ted Reynolds

Now On Display

Quicklinks

Search Database Collections

Alberta Aviation Museum Tour
 
 

Curtiss OX5 Engine

The most common aircraft used after the First World War was the Curtiss JN-4, which was powered by the Curtiss OX 5: the dominant engine used in aircraft in the 1920s. With its 90 horse power capacity, it was not only used in JN-4 aircraft like The City of Edmonton, but also in planes such as the Travel Air 2000, Waco 9 and 10.

The Curtiss OX 5 engine was an advanced version of the earlier Curtiss O engine that was used in 1911. The first of the OX engines was developed in 1912, but the war years saw ongoing improvements to these engines until they were highly regarded as reliable, effective aircraft engines.

 

divider
spacer    Copyright © 2004 Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved spacer
Alberta's Aviation Heritage

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on aviation in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved