hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:55:50 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
table anchor table anchor table anchor
Alberta's Aviation Heritage
spacer    Home   |   About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Partners   |   Sitemap spacer
spacer History, Planes, People and Virtual Heritage
Quicklinks

First Bush Plane

Quicklinks

Search Database Collections

Alberta Aviation Museum Tour
 
 

Curtiss HS-2L

A HS-2L was flyingIn 1917, Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company saw a need for a more powerful flying boat, and developed the HS-1 with a 200-horse power engine.

The United States Navy wanted even more power, and had the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company install its 360-horse power Liberty engine. They renamed the aircraft the "HS-1L." It was then was redesigned with a larger wingspan to increase the lift power and was identified as the "HS-2L."

Cutiss HS-2L on the waterThe HS-2L was first put into service during the week of the 22nd to 28th September 1918. France, the United States and Canada all used it as an anti-submarine aircraft during the First World War. The United States Navy used the HS-2L in bases at Dartmouth and Sydney in Nova Scotia. In all, 1,121 HS-1Ls and HS-2Ls were produced.

At the end of the First World War, the United States gave Canada 12 HS-2Ls. Two of these aircraft were later loaned to civilian companies in 1920, but the Air Board used the rest. The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) also eventually used the HS-2L aircraft.

 

divider
spacer    Copyright © 2004 Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved spacer
Alberta's Aviation Heritage

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on aviation in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved