The Tiger Moth was originally
developed as a military training aircraft in 1931.
The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) ordered the first Tiger
Moths from de Havilland Canada in the mid-1930s, requesting a
series of modifications. As each order was placed for more
Moths, more improvements were made to the aircraft. One
modification requested by the Canadian authorities asked that
the wood frame be replaced by all-metal tubing.
The Tiger Moth, Menasco Moth, and the Fleet Finch were the
main aircraft that were used in the British Commonwealth Air
Training Plan until they started to replace them in 1943. After
the Second World War, many surplus Tiger Moths were sold to
private flying clubs.