The Lockheed F-104 was first designed as a light fighter, which
was in contrast to the trend after the Second World War towards
producing heavier fighter aircraft.
The first flight of the prototype took place at Edwards Air
Force Base in California on 4 March 1954. At the time of its
testing, it set both altitude and speed records.
The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) decided to replace its
fleet of F-86 Sabres that were being used in West Germany with
the CF-104. Canadair in Montreal manufactured the CF-104, and
Orenda Engines built the engine named the, General Electric
J-79-OEL-7. The engine produced 4,354 kilograms of thrust,
increasing to 6,712 kilograms with the after burner.
The CF-104 was used on patrols since it had special equipment
including a ventral reconnaissance pod, which contained four
Vinten cameras and electronic sensors.
The CF-104s were used for Canada’s responsibilities as a
member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
||A colour photograph of 2 RCAF VooDoo
aircraft flying in formation. Aircraft ID numbers are
CAF 406, tail number 17406 and CAF 483, tail number