hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 16:57:17 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
table anchor table anchor table anchor
Alberta's Aviation Heritage
spacer    Home   |   About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Partners   |   Sitemap spacer
spacer History, Planes, People and Virtual HeritagespacerSearch Database Collections

Alberta Aviation Museum Tour


 
 

Gladys Walker

Gladys Graves Walker and Wilfrid Reid "Wop" May By the mid 1920s, there was a decline in the amount of aviation activity due in part to established companies using up surplus aircraft after the First World War. As the years passed, there was no longer a source of inexpensive aircraft or parts, and many companies were unable to keep flying.

To remedy this decline, the Canadian federal government sponsored the establishment of a system of aero clubs across Canada to provide training for new pilots.

Edmonton had a strong community of aviation enthusiasts, and in 1927 the Northern Alberta Aero Club was created with Wop May as its first president. There were a number of students enrolled in ground school, who would soon graduate as pilots. Among these students were a number of women, including a very enthusiastic Gladys Walker.

 

divider
spacer    Copyright © 2004 Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved spacer
Alberta's Aviation Heritage

Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on aviation in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Communty Foundation All Rights Reserved