Faculté Saint-Jean of the University of Alberta
The institution which we know as the Faculté Saint-Jean of the University of Alberta was first established in 1908 by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate in Pincher Creek. Initially a "juniorat" where young men could train to become priests, the establishment was moved to Edmonton two years after it opened. The school was moved to its present location in 1911.
When the Jesuit College in Edmonton was closed in 1942, the juniorat became a college, offering classical education to young men at the secondary school level and beyond, as it was affiliated with the University of Ottawa at the time.
Since 1926, girls had attended the Convent of the Sisters of the Assumption. It was only in 1960 that women were accepted at the College Saint-Jean. In 1963, the college began to offer courses in education and became affiliated with the University of Alberta, and more specifically, the arts department in 1966. The Oblates sold the college to the University of Alberta in 1976 and, in 1977, it became a faculty of the university. In 2006, it became the Francophone Campus of the university.