mission at Norway House was established in 1840 as part of the conditions
under which the Hudson's Bay Company's (HBC) charter was renewed by the British government. The
three company chaplains, Robert Rundle, William Mason and George Barnley were to function under
the Superintendent James Evans.
Norway House was
important because of its location. Situated at the meeting point of
several water routes, supplies moving from Britain to the missions
travelled through Norway House and vice versa. As a link between the interior
of the Saskatchewan District and the outside world, Norway House was in an
excellent position to oversee the work of the Western missions.
direction of transport through Norway House also meant that the
Western missions operated independently from those in Lower Canada.
Hence, the missionaries were more closely tied to Great Britain than to Eastern
Canada. In fact, most letters and reports of these missions are stored in
archives in London, England rather than in Canada.