Pigeon Lake was the first permanent Methodist Mission post west of
Norway House and, at its peak, was a bustling stopover for Aboriginal
parties, some which numbered several hundred people.
However, with the signing of Treaties 6 and 7 and the establishment of
reserves, the mission was eventually sidelined and in 1906 closed its
the 1950s an interest in the story of the Pigeon Lake mission developed,
and a committee was formed to create an appropriate
memorial. The original plan of was simply to build a cairn,
but as the importance of the site became clear, the committee felt that something
grander was needed. The result was a memorial
retreat centre, which today includes the Rundle Memorial Lodge and
two residences. An active monument to early mission efforts, the site was declared a National Historic Monument in
1965 and the mission cemetery, site and buildings designated a Provincial Historic
Site in 1997.