hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of University of Alberta using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:08:56 Dec 08, 2010, and is part of the HCF Alberta Online Encyclopedia collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page.
Heritage Community Foundation Presents
Alberta Online Encyclopedia
Missions and Related Sites

              Home   /   Sitemap   /   About   /   Partners   /   Mission Era Timeline   /   Research Corner   /

Heritage Community Foundation

Rundle's MissionPigeon Lake was the first permanent Methodist Mission post west of Norway House and, at its peak, was a bustling stopover for Aboriginal travelling parties, some which  numbered several hundred people. However, with the signing of Treaties 6 and 7 and the establishment of reserves, the mission was eventually sidelined and in 1906 closed its doors.

Pigeon Lake StudentsIn the 1950s an interest in the story of the Pigeon Lake mission developed, and a committee was formed to create an appropriate memorial. The original plan of was simply to build a cairn, but as the importance of the site became clear, the committee felt that something grander was needed. The result was a memorial retreat centre, which today includes the Rundle Memorial Lodge and two residences. An active monument to early mission efforts, the site was declared a National Historic Monument in 1965 and the mission cemetery, site and buildings designated a Provincial Historic Site in 1997.

 


Albertasource.ca | Contact Us | Partnerships
            For more on Methodism and Methodist settlement in Alberta, visit Peel’s Prairie Provinces.
Copyright © Heritage Community Foundation All Rights Reserved