As the first
facility of its kind in the area, the mission school at Morley saw many
Aboriginal children pass through its doors-many as day students and some
as residents. The initial building was soon too
small and in 1890 a larger facility was constructed at the nearby
Morleyville settlement, which remained in operation until 1908.
original mission church, built in 1875, was abandoned in 1921 and the minister moved
to Morleyville. The Morley congregation today is part of the All
Native Circle Conference of the United Church of Canada. The original church was
eventually restored, has since been used for special services, and is
recognized by both the United Church of Canada and the Province of Alberta
as a historic site.